At a glance
A large hydrocarbon processing facility needed to safely remove a hazardous mix of hydrocarbons, water, and sludge in one of their storage tanks. The presence of H2S, FeS, Mercaptans, LELs and Benzene required a systematic chemical tank cleaning process to ensure safety and environmental compliance.
A large hydrocarbon processing facility in Alberta needed to clean one of their hydrocarbon storage tanks during shutdown. The tank contained large volumes of sludge with an unknown composition, hydrocarbons, H2S, iron sulphides, mercaptans, LEL vapours and benzene. Estimated total of 1,000 m3 of fluid and 700 m3 of sludge required treatment.
Sample analysis and tests revealed conventional tank cleaners were not effective. Our custom solution used:
- Sourguard as needed to control H2S.
- Ferrosol for iron sulphides. Circulate and apply to internal floating roof, piping, and tank walls.
- Detrax, a water-based tank cleaning degreaser was blended into sludge to clean the tank, control hazardous vapours, and disperse solids.
Safely Cleaned Vessel
- Dispersed and Removed over 700m3 of Sludge
- Eliminated H2S and reduced mercaptan levels by 77%
- Safety ensured throughout treatment with continuous monitoring of hazardous vapour concentrations
Dispersed and Removed over 700m3 of Sludge
Detrax used to effectively remove and disperse 700 m3 of tank sludge, reduce LEL vapour, and benzene concentrations.
Successfully treated hazardous vapours and suspended solids for transport. Safe, efficient, and environmentally compliant disposal of all waste sludge and fluids.
(1) Untreated sludge deposit.
(2) 3 grams of sludge deposit treated with 10% Detrax (water-based degreaser for tank cleaning). Note how deposit is fully dispersed in the fluid.
(3) Treated high solids water left to settle for 24 hours. Note how the solids remain suspended in the tube treated with Detrax while the Blank has stratified and solids settled to the bottom as shown by the red line. The ability to keep solids suspended prevented solids from settling during waste transport, ensuring easy offloading of waste.