Maintaining a cooling tower requires more than an effective water treatment program. Towers require regular maintenance and physical cleaning too!
Building owners and managers should understand the importance of regular cooling tower maintenance to ensure your cooling tower is operating at peak efficiency.
The Importance of Regular Cooling Tower Maintenance
Cooling towers are essential components of your comfort cooling, process cooling, and HVAC systems. They are used in a variety of industries, including healthcare, commercial buildings, data centers, and industrial manufacturing.
Regular maintenance of cooling towers is crucial to ensure reliable operation, lowest cost to operate, and reduced risk to human health. Neglect can lead to a host of problems, including:
- Water-borne pathogens
- Risks to human health
This is why regular maintenance is of utmost importance, to ensure your cooling tower is operating at its best.
Cooling Tower Maintenance
Regular cooling tower maintenance involves inspection of key components to ensure proper thermodynamic performance. Poor thermodynamic performance may indicate a problem with one or more of these components:
- Drift eliminators – Remove water droplets from exhaust air and prevent environmental release.
- Flow nozzles – Control the flow of water through the tower and should be inspected for proper alignment and operation.
- Basin cleanliness – Settling in low velocity areas can lead to clogging, corrosion, and can reduce water treatment program effectiveness.
- Tower fill – Damage or blockage can reduce heat transfer and evaporation effectiveness.
- Fins, belts, blades, and bearings – Critical components to inspect for wear and tear. Replace as necessary.
Of course, the frequency of maintenance and the components to check vary depending on cooling tower type and location. That is why we recommend seeking the guidance of a professional, who will advise you on the best course of action.
Factors That Affect Cooling Tower Maintenance
There are many factors that determine how often a cooling tower needs physical cleaning, such as environmental conditions, the type of tower, the application, the effectiveness of the water treatment program, and even the age of the equipment.
Understanding these factors is crucial in making informed decisions about maintenance.
- Environmental Factors and Location: High dust, pollen, or other debris affect the rate your cooling tower accumulates dirt and debris. If the tower is in an area with high levels of debris, it requires more frequent cleaning.
- Type of Cooling Tower: Some cooling tower designs require more frequent cleaning. Factors affecting cleaning frequency include:
- Settling in low-lying areas: Dead legs and low-lying areas of the cooling system require more frequent cleaning.
- Flash to dryness: A phenomenon that occurs in areas that are not fully wetted, leaving behind minerals and other debris.
- Sunlight Exposure: Cooling tower design affects how much sunlight reaches internal surfaces causing bio-fouling and algae growth.
- Application: Cooling towers in food processing and healthcare processes may require more frequent cleaning especially where there is an increased risk of water-borne pathogens.
- Effectiveness of your Cooling Tower Water Treatment Program: Program, chemicals, filtration, and monitoring of the cooling tower affect how often it needs to be cleaned.
- Age of Equipment: As equipment ages, it is more likely to experience inefficiency, which can lead to system upsets and increase cleaning requirements.
Consult With a Water Treatment Professional
Proper cooling tower maintenance ensures reliable operation, reduced cost, and minimizes risks to human health. Physical cooling tower cleaning is just one part of a cooling tower maintenance program. Consult a professional to help you determine your cooling tower maintenance and cleaning needs.
If you have questions about cooling tower cleaning and maintenance, we can help. At Guardian Chemicals, we offer effective water treatment chemicals and professional service to meet the needs of building managers and property owners. Our team is equipped with the latest equipment and techniques, and we are dedicated to ensuring your cooling tower is properly treated and maintained. You might be interested in reading our article on Cooling Towers and Legionella.
Don’t wait for problems to arise. Act now and see the benefits for yourself. Contact Guardian Chemicals to review your cooling tower program and ensure your building is running at peak efficiency. Together, we can safeguard the health of our people, the environment, and the comfort of our communities.